Like most busy people who don’t love to slave over a hot stove each night to make dinner, I’m a big fan of my crock pot. But I’m really picky when it comes to a crock pot recipe making the cut and being added to my repertoire of meals.
At least for me (and I’m guessing I’m not alone here), there are lots of flops along the way. But then every once in a while there is that gem that surprises you at just how good it turns out to be. This crock pot cream cheese chicken is one of those recipes.
I don’t know if my taste buds are working overtime these days or what, but I could not get enough of this meal! I literally licked the spoon after pouring the leftovers into a container. Seriously. This was REALLY good.
And it took me less than 5 minutes to prepare. I completely forgot to do it all morning when I had lots of time, and then of course when I had about 10 minutes before I had to get both boys changed/pottied, loaded up in the stroller, and out the door, I remembered about dinner. So now I’m an even bigger fan of this recipe because of how simple it was to throw together and how yummy our house smelled when we returned home a couple hours later.
This amount serves about 6. You can easily double the recipe to feed a larger crowd (I wish I could remember where I got the original recipe from–I didn’t write it down. But I’ve tweaked it quite a bit since making it for the first time).
You just throw everything in there (except for the cream cheese) and turn it to low. My chicken was completely frozen and it was done after 4 hours (maybe even by 3 1/2 hours).
Take out the chicken and shred it. Pour it back in, and add the cream cheese.
Give it a little stir to get the cream cheese mixed in a little, and then cover and turn to high for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes are up, stir more thoroughly and break up any remaining cream cheese chunks. That’s it! Serve over pasta or rice. We like to eat it with bow tie noodles.
- 1-2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen)
- 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 packet of Italian dressing mix
- ½ block of cream cheese
- Pasta of your choice or rice
- Place chicken, broth, soup, garlic, and dressing mix in the crock pot
- Stir slightly to break up the soup and mix all the ingredients together
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours (mine was done in 4 hours) or until chicken can shred with a fork
- Remove chicken and shred; place back in crock pot
- Add small chunks of cream cheese and mix slightly
- Cook on high for 30 more minutes to melt the cream cheese. Serve over pasta or rice.
- Freezer instructions: Prepare it following the instructions above, then let cool completely
- Pour into gallon-sized ziploc bags and lay flat to freeze
- When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the fridge
- Pour contents of bag into a saucepan and heat on low-medium heat until heated through
I link up at these great parties!