I love when Pinterest recipes are an instant hit. Actually, I love that I actually made a recipe that I pinned. That in and of itself is a win. But then it turned out great, which makes me just love Pinterest and this yummy meal.
This recipe for sausage, rice and bean skillet is a total win. It’s warm, comforty, pile-high-in-a-bowl goodness. You want to eat it with big fluffy socks on and maybe a cup of tea. I’ve made this recipe a couple times now, including delivering it to a friend, and everyone–from toddler to grown-up–seem to love it. So it is officially in my repertoire of meals. And meals that make their way into my rotation are meals I have to share.
It’s so easy to make–like I can actually make it during the pre-dinner hour instead of relying on being able to pull it out of the freezer. And that says a lot what with my four little ones desperately hungry and bored and needy in every way during that dreaded hour of the day. It’s packed with protein and flavor.
I’m sure it freezes great, but we have yet saved enough leftovers to make it freezer-meal ready. But we’re big leftovers-for-lunch people. If you are the type to let leftovers go a little too long in the fridge, just throw the rest in a gallon-sized freezer bag and freeze.
This recipe is adapted from Belly Full
- 1 package of smoked sausage or kielbasa
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 can of pinto beans, drained (14 oz.)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cracked red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons of parsley flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add the onions and cook for a few minutes until they're soft and translucent; add the garlic
- Stir for another minute
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the parsley, stir and bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes until rice is done
- Stir in the parsley and enjoy!