I really, really love potatoes. For the longest time I would say that potatoes and rice were my two favorite foods. Kind of weird, right? I guess you could say I’m a meat and potatoes kind of girl.
So it’s no surprise that this recipe for freezer-friendly twice baked potatoes is one of my absolute favorite meals to have in the freezer.
It’s a mixture of meat and potatoes, and it’s an awesome freezer meal. What’s not to love?
The prep is a bit time-consuming, but once it’s done and in the freezer, it can’t be more simple to heat and serve. And I’m ok doing the work for these because the end product is so, so good. Can you tell I really love these things? 🙂
First, bake your potatoes (I use a 5 lb. bag) in the oven for 45 min-1 hr at 400 degrees. Let them cool almost completely. Then slice the cooled potatoes down the middle and scoop out the insides similar to how you’d scoop out an avocado, leaving just a little lining of potato in the skin.
Make your mashed potato mixture. I add milk, butter, salt, pepper, garlic/parsley, and cream cheese. Then dice your meat and mix it in. I use precooked kielbasa or something similar (usually whatever is on sale).
Fill the skins with the mixture–about one tablespoon scoop per skin. Top with shredded cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool completely. Once cooled, place the entire cookie sheet in the freezer (you can cover it with a towel) until the filled potatoes are frozen solid.
Place in freezer bags. I like to fill enough potatoes so that there is one meal per bag. The potatoes I use are small-medium and I plan for 3 per adult (3 halves) and 1-2 per kid. For my family of 2 adults and 2 kids, a 5 lb. bag of potatoes is enough for 3 meals with some leftovers.
Place the frozen potatoes on a cookie sheet and reheat for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until heated through.
- 5 lb. bag of potatoes
- 10-12 oz. diced meat (sausage, brats, kielbasa, etc.)
- Mashed potato mixture:
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2-3 T butter
- 2 T cream cheese
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Garlic/parsley to taste
- Shredded cheese
- Rinse potatoes and pat with salt; place in 400 degree oven directly onto rack
- Bake fro 45 min - 1 hr or until fork pierces easily
- Remove and allow to cool completely
- Slice potatoes down the center and scoop insides out; place onto cookie sheet
- Prepare the mashed potato mixture
- Add diced meat (cook first if it's not precooked meat)
- Scoop mixture back into skins and top with cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees
- Cool completely; once cooled, place cookie sheet in freezer until potatoes freeze solid
- Store in freezer bags
- To serve: heat in oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until heated through